Sara Zamora, national vice president of the Colombian Society of Architects, told Metrocuadrado about those details that can never go unnoticed in a new home purchase.
Many times the unsuspecting buyer makes their purchasing decision impressed by the décor of the apartment or model home. That is why reviewing every detail is an important task.
Check that the construction has all the permits in order.
Carefully analyze the size of each and every space in the new home and imagine how you could place all your furniture, thinking about the members and the needs of you and your family.
- Electrical, gas and sanitary installations: check carefully if there are enough electrical outlets, check that the gas or electrical appliances in the house are working perfectly. The screams of bathrooms, kitchen patios and even the bathroom rate should be carefully reviewed.
- Hydraulic installations: be aware of siphons and registers. The latter are the ones that allow the water to be shut off when a tube breaks or a sanitary appliance needs to be repaired.
- Finishes: the floor must be completely level, the bricks and veneers look at them carefully, it is important that they are polished.
- When choosing between area and finishes, prefer more surface area and fewer finishes, this helps future enhancement.
- Acquiring a home in grey work can be attractive for those who want to remodel, however, it is important that you take into account the expenses of fixing your apartment (painting, veneers, floors, etc.).
- Window and doors: check that the closing system works correctly and that there are no spaces through which inclement weather can pass.
- Handrails: make sure they are not loose and are perfectly anchored.
- Walls and ceilings: look carefully that they are not bulging, that there are no cracks and that there is no humidity.
- Lights: check that they all work, putting light bulbs in case there aren’t any.
- Community services: even if the community is in charge, you can also make sure that the elevator, the fixed or automatic lights of the staircase, the pool or the meter room do not present problems.